BECAUSE Baltimore City has a proliferation of alcohol outlets with 1 outlet for every 505 people (2016);
BECAUSE research indicates that alcohol outlet density is the single greatest predictor of violent crime in neighborhoods, greater than other social and economic factors; further, alcohol outlet density is also associated with increased alcohol consumption, underage drinking, binge drinking, motor vehicle crashes, and hospitalizations among other health problems;
BECAUSE, Each additional alcohol outlet in a census tract raises the homicide rate 1.6 percent, and according to the CDC, nearly half of all homicides (47%) are caused by excessive drinking;
BECAUSE, more alcohol outlets in a neighborhood is also associated with a greater likelihood of neighborhood problems, including nuisances such as property damage, public urination, and noise, all of which reduce the quality of life in the community and contribute to community-level trauma;
THEREFORE, I/WE support efforts to advocate for alcohol policies in Baltimore City and/or statewide policies with local implications that will protect the public’s health, safety and quality of life focused in the following areas:
- Enacting legislation that encourages more accountability for liquor licensees for illegal sales and service practices of alcohol (e.g. dram shop liability, responsible beverage service practices)
- Increasing alcohol taxes/price of alcohol
- Regulating excessive price discounting practices on the retail sale of alcohol
- Maintaining limits on hours and days of sales for alcohol outlets
- Maintaining the minimum legal drinking age law
- Supporting enhanced enforcement of laws prohibiting sales to minors and sales to intoxicated individuals
- Regulating alcohol-related marketing (e.g. window signage, billboards)
- Regulating alcohol outlet density through licensing and zoning processes
- Assisting neighborhoods in the resolution of nuisances and code violations arising from the operation of alcohol outlets
Distribute Resolutions of Support
Print these to bring to your next community meeting!
Help Educate Your Community
This brochure is a user-friendly educational document to help Baltimore citizens, policymakers and community organizations and neighborhood associations understand issues facing alcohol outlet regulation in Baltimore City.
The brochure can be easily downloaded and printed.
Share Infographics on Social Media
Make sure to Hashtag us! #BGNC
Click the images for full sized versions